Saturday, January 26, 2013

Discussion Post: Looking for that (literary) HEA

Have you ever been happily reading along when suddenly, out of the blue, something terrible happens that throws you out of the momentum of the book?

In my case, I was reading a nice little book when the hero was suddenly struck down and DIED just before the end. (Sorry, guys, I won't say what book it is. I'm aggressively anti-spoiler -- except when I flip ahead to the end of the book. o.O)

I'm not going to lie, the sudden death took me by surprise. It was jarring and it was entirely unexpected simply because I thought that the hints we'd been given about him possibly dying were just another roadblock the hero and heroine would have to work around.

I read books to escape into another world. I read romance because I like the push and pull that comes from well constructed characters battling their inevitable headlong fall into love. I don't necessarily need a full-on Happily Ever After. I mean, I would be thrilled with a Happy For Now. When the heroine (or hero) is struck by tragedy at the end of the book and doesn't have the chance to recover, it's hard for me to read. HARD. I can appreciate someone overcoming overwhelming odds and fighting through the pain of losing someone, but I want that to be part of the story. I want to see them triumph. Losing someone at the end and not getting to be part of that journey makes me blink in bewilderment.

Now that I've said that, I am going to say that I did read a book AGES ago (seriously, I think the glaciers were just forming and dinosaurs roamed the earth) where both the main characters died. And you knew this going into the book because the author told you in the prologue (No, I can't tell you what book it is because I honestly don't remember the title at this point). AND IT WORKED! It was one of the sweetest romances I've ever read and I devoured it.

So, I'm not saying that killing off your main character (or characters) in a romance novel is BAD necessarily, I'm just saying that it takes a certain amount of finessing. I want the HEA. I want to know that these characters are being rewarded for all their literary heartache by the time I reach the end of the book.

Tell me how you feel about this. Do romance books where a main character dies work for you -- are passion and tragedy your thing? Or are you strictly there for the HEA?


19 comments:

  1. I am a HEA only kind of girl. In fact, I once even read a non-romance book where the main character dies at the end and... just NO. It made me SO UPSET.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really really REALLY randomly, that's been the *thing* on the last few SyFy channel movies I've watched. The hero of the story has to nobly sacrifice him/herself to save the day. I get why it was done but... Y U kill everyone?

      I'm pretty focused on a HEA, too. I always end up shipping people in non-romance books and then being upset when things don't come together like they do in my head. Damn you, non-romance books!

      Delete
    2. lololol. Yes. YES. I do the same with non-romance books.

      Delete
  2. I have a hard time handling it even when the characters appear to 'die' near the end. There is one series that is notorious for that (and no, I'm not naming it either.) Even though I know it's coming and that it will be okay in the end, it's still heart wrenching. I'm a blubbering mess if the main character actually does die.

    That being said, I started reading a YA series that I really, really like. The romance is sweet and all odds are against the characters, but I still hope that they will get their HEA eventually - even know I know it's not gonna happen. The author has been very honest about the fact that in order to stay true to the story that the series will end when one of the characters meets their demise. She wants to be up front with that fact because she doesn't want readers to go into the series with false expectations. I keep telling myself that it's the journey, not necessarily the outcome but I'm totally dreading the final books in the series. *sigh* Will it stop me from reading them though? Absolutely not. I'll stick with them to the end, but I have no doubt that I'll be a weepy mess and hate the author just a little bit until I recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.O AND YOU'RE STILL READING IT???? I was looking at a series recently and I starting having a sneaking suspicion that one of the main characters were going to die. I decided against the book. I just... don't want to read that. I want a happy ending!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I want a HEA too, but I already invested in the series and the outcome really is inevitable. I'm not happy about it, but yeah, I'm still reading it. I will need a good HEA to fall back on when it's over though. I've got a while, the series is only two books in and there will probably be about 7.

      Delete
    3. Well, I'm impressed with your dedication. Although, maybe knowing it's coming helps soften the blow a bit. You have time to prepare yourself for the inevitable. Maybe.

      Delete
  3. You are a better person than I. Unless I'm reading horror or zombie apocalypse I expect my HEA. If I did not get that HEA I am almost positive that I would be violent.

    I read a book last year where the hero left a gal, went back to baby mama, at the end he has amnesia and was back with the ex (gal from beginning.) It's a series. I figured the next book would be hero and baby mama getting back together. At this point I was a little okay with everything. When I found out the 2nd book moved on to another set of characters I wanted to go back and give the 1st book an entirely different rating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was REALLY thrown for a loop with the book I read recently. I wasn't violent so much as numb, though. I just... didn't expect it.

      I read a book a while back where the hero gets amnesia and is told by one of the bad guys that he's her girlfriend and they trotted off and had oodles of the sex and then he gets his memory back and goes back to his REAL girlfriend and I was all WHAT THE WHAT? HOW IS THIS HAPPENING??? The issue wasn't addressed AT ALL. That alone downgraded my rating because I kinda thought that being lied to and tricked into having sex with someone was a NO-NO.

      Delete
  4. I expect an HEA in romance, womens fiction (aka why I don't read it much), and even UF (eventually). Seriously if you don't get me an HEA or at least the promise of one (in UF by the 2nd book in the series) then I am one pissed off reader.

    It is why I don't read mainline fiction. I won't read Nicholas Sparks because I hear someone has to die in every book. I have heard the same thing about Jodi Piccult. I think these people needed more hugs in their lives :) Don't get me started on the Anna Quinlin book I was tricked into reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should say that I have the exact opposite expectations for Thrillers and Horror Books. I kind of get disappointed when everyone lives and is all roses at the end of those :) I am a bit insensitive that way LOL

      Delete
    2. I won't read Nicholas Sparks either but that's just because his books don't look interesting to me. LOL! Maybe if he threw a vampire or five in.

      I'm with you. I not only want a HEA, if it's a UF, I want to know there's the possibility of happy, sexy times for the MC somewhere down the road. I expect a bumpy ride, but I also expect the payoff.

      Delete
    3. I'm with you on horror and thriller books. If the book ends with everyone surviving, they better be damn scarred by it. I mean, flashbacks and everything. I guess I'm insensitive, too. Lol!

      Delete
    4. Exactly! They had better be scared for life!

      Delete
  5. Unless it works out for the best, then I'm all for happy endings over someone dying. Especially if it's a character I've come to love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it really just depends on what I'm in the mood for. Most days I will go for a HEA because I want to see the couple end up with each other. Sometimes it is nice to have that heartbreak though and not get what you wanted.

    I could go either way depending on mood but most days I'm in it for a HEA. :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you know when a book has the heartbreak at the end? I can appreciate being in the mood for that but when you aren't expecting it? O.O It's jarring.

      Or... do you have certain books that you reread when the heartbreak mood hits?

      Delete